The UX of cryptocurrency wallets and key storage are not solved problems. With the current system users are stuck between, on the one hand, trusting all of their funds to third parties in the form of exchanges and internet-connected "hot wallets", and the extreme personal responsibility of managing keys themselves on the other. The result is millions of dollars worth of funds lost to unscrupulous and inapt third parties and user error. If cryptocurrencies are to be adopted by the general public, as opposed to a small group of enthusiasts a better user experience is required.
By storing currencies in a contract rather than a regular account we could attach custom logic to fund management. For example:
- Daily limits on transfers.
- Team management of funds with a system of security checks.
- Various key recovery protocols.
- Lists of trusted recipients.
- Time delays and notification for large transactions.
A contract storing funds and implementing any number of security features and protocols is a Contract Wallet. The domain has seen development recently and multiple wallets targeting different use cases are being developed. But we believe the domain is still in its infancy. For example it is hard to imagine the wallets being trustworthy enough to see wide adoption without the contracts and off-chain third-party mechanisms being thoroughly audited and, ideally, open sourced. All of the wallets tested so far are in beta and are either short on features or with buggy interfaces.
All of that said, we are very optimistic about the future of Contract Wallets as a fund storage mechanism and we will observe the progress with great enthusiasm.
Sign up now to get your own personalized crypto world!Sign up
<iframe src="https://embed.block123.com/embed/s/589396625655.htm" style="border: none;" width="490" height="164" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Open Web Collective Build the Open Web, Unlock the Future.
- Antoine Scalia Co-founder of cryptio.
- Streetcred Digital Credentials and Identity for Web 3.0.
- Samyak Jain Co-Founder at InstaDApp.
- Easwap Easiest way to swap Tokens. Initiative by InstaDApp.
- Byrne Hobart Alternative data-driven equity research.
- NetCents Accept Cryptocurrency Payments Online Today.
- Joao Reginatto VP Product, USDC Product Lead at Circle.
- Omni LAB Build Sustainable Ecosystems, Powered By OmniLayer.
- Jaye Harrill Communications Manager at Quantstamp.